How to Bind a Book using Plastic Comb Binding
Plastic comb binding is a classic punch and binding style. It is a relatively easy process and is basically the same for most manual comb binding machines. Electric comb binding machines are very similar, but simply have push button controls rather than a lever for punching.
Below are the basics of Plastic Comb Binding:
Select the proper size of comb binding spine
- A comb binding that is too small will hinder both the durability and usability of the document as pages will not turn freely and could ultimately rip
- Comb bindings that are too large will look awkward and will not function as well as a properly fitted comb binding
- This chart will tell you exactly what size binding to use depending on how many pages you have in your document.
Place the comb on the comb binder so that it opens
- Place the solid spine of the comb binding on the opener from the back side so the loops are in between the fingers of the comb binding opener
- Make sure that the comb binding will open up rather than down
Depending on the system: push or pull the lever to open the comb binding
- Some systems have a single lever that will operate the punch mechanism by pulling forward and the comb binding opener by pushing back.
- Electric punches and some manual systems will have a separate comb binding lever that will usually be pulled toward the operator
- Opening the comb binding too far will cause the comb binding to snap shut and possibly fly off the system. Open the binding just enough to fit all your pages in
- Make sure the opener is closed all the way when inserting the binding. You'll see small hooks that will grab the comb and pull each tooth open.
‘Hang’ the front binding cover face down, followed by the contents of the document, and finish with the back cover
- It is very common for plastic comb bound documents to have oversized covers which are easier to hang alone
- The contents of the document can be hung in sections. For larger documents, it may be necessary to close the comb binding incrementally
- For best appearance, start with the front of the document and place the document on the comb binding face down. (This will ensure that the seam of the comb binding is on the back side of the document)
Replace the lever into the center or resting position to close the comb binding, and remove the book
In 5 easy steps you have bound a beautiful book using Plastic Comb Bindings. Now that you know the basics, you can explore other possibilities of items that you can make using your Binding Machine.